Vught, known as the Herzogenbusch concentration camp, was built in January 1943. Jews, a few Sinti and Roma, criminals, political prisoners, black marketeers, Jehovah's Witnesses, and people arrested for helping Jews were held in Vught.
Jewish workers from Amsterdam holding economic exemptions were the first to arrive at Vught. Later, when Rauter gathered all the remaining Jews from the large cities, such as Amsterdam and Rotterdam, they were also sent to Vught. The camp operated a factory of Phillips, where among other things radios and flashlights were produced. For the Jewish prisoners a job at Phillips meant postponement of their deportation. However, on 2 June 1944 they were deported to Auschwitz anyway. On 6 and 7 June 1943 a children's transport left from Vught: 1,926 Jewish children of 16 years and younger were deported with one of their parents. They arrived at Sobibor extermination camp via Westerbork, where they were murdered immediately upon arrival. For more than 12,000 Jews Vught became the transfer camp on the way to their death in concentration and extermination camps in occupied Poland.
For more information about camp Vught see: www.nmkampvught.nl.